Quantified TonesNotes on gear, mostly for self-edification.
- Csound: If it can't be done in Csound it can't be done.
- Cuckos Reaper: The best DAW for capturing hours-long jams.
- Tabledit: The long-lived French tab editor. I've used it constantly since last millennium.
2000s. Versatile. Hollow Sun Sounds.
- Alesis Fusion Forum: All kinds of info on this absurdly versatile yet sadly overlooked synth.
- Fix for MIDI garbage transmit issue: Press Global Button, navigate to MIDI, turn off sends and receives for Sequence control and MIDI timecode.
1990s. Science fiction. Metroid Prime. X-Files.
- Proteus 2 at Synthmania: Patch examples, including the X-Files whistle.
- 25 Patches used in Metroid Prime: Youtube video with examples.
- Sound on Sounds review of Emulator X: The sadly discontinued VSTi.
1980s. Big hit records. Twin Peaks.
- Bobby Blue's DX7 site: Patches and examples of iconic recordings.
- DX7 Synthmania: Examples and notes on patches.
- The Cultural Significance of Timbre Analysis: A Case Study in 1980s Pop Music, Texture, and Narrative: Megan Lavengood's excellent paper on timbre with a focus on the DX7 in Music Theory Online.
- Dexed: An astonishingly close VSTi recreation.